Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy July!

Happy Canada Day to all of my Canadian readers (Dreadmouse).

I'm on enforced vacation starting Monday which means I'm heading out of the metro Detroit area tomorrow morning. I got up at 6:30 this morning (that's a Saturday for those of you reading on Monday) in order to get my damn laundry done as the used new washing machine has not been replaced with a machine that actually spins the clothes dry. I still need to pack but am waiting for my clothes to dry as they hang on the line.

Since it is the first of the month, here is a list of movies (shamefully short) and books read and watched in June.

Movie

Babylon 5 Movie: In the Beginning (N)
Babylon 5: Season 5: Discs 1-5
Babylon 5 Movie: Thirdspace (N)
Tears for Fears: No Show: California Nights (GtG)

Books

The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr

This book had started as a short story for a book that was kind of a tribute to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his famous detective Sherlock Holmes, but Mr. Carr ended up writing a novel. It was very very good. I have read a couple of his other books, The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness, and since I had been quite entertained by them, I was looking forward to this one. I definitely recommend it.

Alex Zanardi: My Sweetest Victory: A Memoir of Racing Success, Adversity, and Courage by Alex Zanardi with Gianluca Gasparini & Foreword by Mario Andretti who was my very first racing hero.

I know this book has limited appeal if viewed simply as a racing book, but I honestly believe that it's more than that. If you don't know even the most rudimentary facts about Alessandro Zanardi, the fact that he survived an accident that should have killed him might interest some. I actually met 'Sandro in Cleveland in 2001 and he was a complete gentleman and even though I was completely starstruck, he acted like he didn't notice. Read his book, it is very worthwhile, even for those who think they hate auto racing.

The Lost Painting: The Quest for A Caravaggio Masterpiece by Jonathan Harr.

This book is a true story which read like a novel, incredibly fascinating and well written. I knew next to nothing about Caravaggio except that he was an Italian painter and probably from the Renaissance, which is not my favorite era for painting, a little too religious for me, but the book read like a mystery. I definitely recommend it.

The Secret Sister by Elizabeth Lowell.

I picked this up thinking it was just another suspense novel, but in actuality I would say it was a romance novel disguised as a suspense novel. It wasn't a bad book, but didn't need the sex scene. The story itself was actually interesting and it was easy enough to skip the sex scene.

The Good German by Joseph Kanon

I read his first book, Los Alamos a few years back and had picked this one up at some point. I heard George Clooney was making a movie based on it, so decided it would be smart to read it before the movie came out. I have enjoyed both of his books completely and recommend him wholeheartedly. And as soon as I work my way through the stacks of books awaiting me I'm seriously considering picking up his other two books, The Prodigal Spy and Alibi. He's a good writer with excellent pacing. I can recommend the books I've read of his, most definitely.

I must now go pack for the week on the West Coast of Michigan. I hope to take some fabulous pictures for you to enjoy them when I get back.

Happy 4th of July to all of my fellow American readers.

TTFN!

5 Comments:

At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, and happy 4th to you. I hope the weekend was good to you?

 
At Tuesday, 04 July, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Knowing George Clooney, the movie will be controversial and worth seeing. The book must be quite good.

 
At Tuesday, 04 July, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

I love that you make these lists. I really need to do that. I have a reading journal, but I lapse for months without updating it. =/

 
At Wednesday, 05 July, 2006, Blogger mr. schprock said...

Impressive. I just recently read "The Big Over Easy" and "Old School."

Oh wait a minute! You know that!

 
At Wednesday, 05 July, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Dreadmouse - It was fine.

Scott - I can't wait to see the movie.

Beth - I talked about it for a long time, now I simply keep a little notebook in my living room and when I'm done I write it down. It's sad how little reading I'm actually doing.

Schprockie - ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home