Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Life Ends

At 8:00 last night I was standing in a small room with YS and Mom crying as YS's 18 year old cat was put to sleep. Can I just tell you that it sucked to the nth degree? I was completely exhausted by the time it was over, but I couldn't just drop YS off at the house and go on home to bed. That would have been cruel. Going home to an empty house when you're used to being greeted by a little furball is so not fun, as I found out when I had to put my beloved Tikal to sleep.



YS insists she's never getting another cat because it sucks when they die. I tried to tell her to remember the 18 good years, but she wasn't listening last night. Yes, I agree, having to put your pet to sleep does suck rocks, and I thought my heart was going to break when I lost Tikal, but I can't imagine going home every day to an empty apartment where there's no Boris or Igor. And even though I might shake my head over Boris' habit of carrying all of his beanie baby toys down the hallway when I'm not home or asleep and get slightly annoyed when I trip over one, I think it's cute and makes me wonder what's going on in his head. And even though Igor has a tendency to eat too fast and then puke (last night he didn't have the sense to get off the bed – although he did upchuck on a t-shirt and not the duvet), I still can't imagine not having them on my lap while I sit on the couch, or sleeping next to me, or hanging out in the bathroom whenever I'm in there. They make me laugh. And that's all good in my book. Will it suck when they leave me? Will I cry buckets and buckets and feel as if my heart was ripped from my body? Probably, but in the end, I'd never say it wasn't worth it.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, 10 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know its sad when they go - but getting new kittens is always fun! We got Butch and Sundance about six months after our old cat died, and it was uplifiting for us all.

 
At Tuesday, 10 January, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

So sorry for her loss. I know the feeling too, as you know. My other cat is pushing 20 too, so I doubt we've got much time left with her.

She'll need some time in her place, and I'm sure that the time will come when she feels the emptiness, and decides that she needs to fill the void with another little friend.

It's nice that you were there with her. It is one terrible thing to go through, and it's even worse to do it alone.

 
At Tuesday, 10 January, 2006, Blogger mr. schprock said...

I completely know what you mean. I grew up with a great cat that eventually had to die, but I wouldn't have missed having him for the world. Our present family cat is a Siamese named Cleo. She's the best.

BTW, I love your cats' names.

 
At Tuesday, 10 January, 2006, Blogger Erica said...

My two cats - ages 12 and 13, respectively - are the first cats I have ever owned. They are in good health, but I dread their passing. I know I will be a basket case. I remember taking them to the vet once, and a woman down the hall was having a pet put to sleep and was just in pieces. I have also had two dogs put to sleep from old age in my childhood and that was as hard as losing a family member, because of course, it is. I'm sorry for YS's loss.

 
At Wednesday, 11 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for her loss.

 
At Wednesday, 11 January, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Smed - I refuse to get kittens ever again. I always get cats that are around 2 years old. The kitten phase makes me want to scream.

Dave - 20 is a good age and I'm jealous as Tikal was only 11. I hope you're right, she's saying she's only going to foster cats from now on.

Mr. Schprock - Thanks. Igor was named for my favorite hockey player, Igor Larionov. And Boris was named for the 2003 Trans-Am Champion, Boris Said. And let's just say that their personalities match their namesakes.

Erica - I hope you get another good ten years with them. I felt so cheated that I lost Tikal at 11. And it'll be weird going to Mom's and YS's cat not being there.

Sandie - Thanks.

 
At Wednesday, 11 January, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I know how you feel. I just lost my cat of several years and it was pretty sad, and another a year before that. They were part of my life since I graduated from college, so their passing was the passing of an era. I haven't gotten a cat since.

 
At Thursday, 12 January, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I hate hearing when kitties are put to sleep. It's so sad. It's almost been 3 years since my cat was put down and I still cry when I see pictures of her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home