Friday, December 16, 2005

Swing the Heartache!

So, I have a couple of questions for the male members of my audience. Females can answer, of course, but since I'm looking for insight into the male brain…

First, what does it mean when a boy gives you a Christmas present? In fact, makes a special trip over from his building to yours? And it's a couple of miles away.

Second, I have a wedding in February to attend (God willin' and the crick don't rise that I still have a job) in another city. In said other city resides the only boy in whom I've been interested in way too long. I just rec'd the invitation and it says "Ms. Kathleen & Guest." Do I ask him? Do I mention to him casually that I'm possibly going to be in the big city nearest his home?

And now it's time for frivolity!

With a survey that I stole from Julieu.

TEN random things you might not know about me.
1. I've only had two job interviews (same time frame) where I didn't get the jobs, but it was okay because I got the job I really wanted, and had only gone on those interviews, just in case.
2. I'm utterly fascinated by ancient history/cultures.
3. Wool makes me itch.
4. I am the world's worst photographer.
5. Earwigs are the only insect that completely freak me out, just by thinking about them. *full-on body shudder*
6. I sang in the children's choir in grade school, which is really sad since I'm pretty damn sure I can't carry a tune in a bucket.
7. I (along with the rest of the girls) had the hugest crush on our choir director/organist.
8. The only caffeine I ingest is from dark chocolate.
9. I call my Grandma "Shortstuff" as she's barely 4'8" anymore.
10. I have very thin fingers.


NINE places I've visited.
1. Mexico City, Mexico
2. Hermosillo, Mexico
3. Cairo, Egypt
4. Niagara Falls, ONT
5. Toronto, ONT
6. The Florida Keys
7. Las Vegas, Nevada
8. Guadalajara, Mexico
9. Milwaukee, Wisconsin


EIGHT ways to win my heart
1. Intelligence
2. More than a passing acquaintance with grammar and spelling.
3. Sense of Humor
4. Listening
5. Understanding
6. Kindness
7. Give me space.
8. Don't make me watch TV with you just to say we did something together.


SEVEN things I want to do before I die
1. Pet/Kiss/Hug a rhinoceros. What can I say? I think they are so cute and sweet.
2. Knit myself a freaking sweater that doesn't look like ass.
3. Get my mother to change her ugly-ass hairstyle.
4. Use all the yarn in my stash.
5. Hike the Inca Trail up to Machu Picchu.
6. Convince people the environment is worth saving, i.e., the Arctic Wildlife Refuge.
7. Learn Swedish and Russian.


SIX things I'm afraid of
1. Stupid people.
2. Driving in the snow.
3. Big, snarling, barking, teeth-baring dogs.
4. Getting cancer.
5. Losing my job.
6. Losing Shortstuff.


FIVE things I don't like
1. Graduation ceremonies
2. Butternut squash
3. TFG
4. That white shit falling from the sky
5. Sharing a room with my mother.


FOUR ways to turn me off
1. Tell me what to wear, how to wear my hair, etc.
2. Treating waiters/waitresses poorly.
3. Incorrect grammar.
4. Being racist.


THREE Things I do everyday
1. Take a shower.
2. Breathe.
3. Brush my teeth.


TWO things that make me happy
1. Race weekends.
2. The Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup.


ONE thing on my mind right now
1. Work lay-offs

14 Comments:

At Friday, 16 December, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

It usually means what you think it means. Boys don't just give gifts to anyone. It's definitely at least a sign of a crush. Unless you did some sort of huge favor for him or something. Some people are just generous too.

Ask him to join you at the wedding. It would make sense if he lives there. If you're friends now he wouldn't be suspicious of anything. It makes sense. It's a great opportunity it catch up...
Plus guys always like to be asked to weddings (at least this one does). It's complimentary regardless of whether it's friendly or possibly something else.

Earwigs- MAJOR FREAKOUT!!! (Centipedes, millipedes, and silverfish too)

I hope that you don't get laid off. I could get you a job at the store and you'd be able to get 20% OFF chocolate, tea, and beer...

Cheers!

 
At Friday, 16 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first scenario is that he digs your scene.

The second scenario - call him and invite him. Hope there's an open bar at the wedding and get all giggly with him slupring up the cheap merlot.

 
At Friday, 16 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say he is definitely interested, and he is sweet. (Ok I know I know I am not a boy and my dating experience sucks..) and I would say yes, yes and yes about asking that guy to the wedding. What have you really got to lose! Do it! Do it! And I think its amazing that the only caffeine you have is in dark chocolate. I wish I could cut down on my caffeine. I am addicted to coffee.Take care and have a good weekend. xoxo

 
At Saturday, 17 December, 2005, Blogger Nightmare said...

Depends on the gift. If he bought you something intimate, a well thought out present like a CDor DVD that you have been wanting or a book that you have wanted, then YES hurry and call him.

But if the present was socks or a scaf, or something that he might have regifted from his crazy Aunt Jean then probably not.

 
At Saturday, 17 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the same boy that I saw drive by the building yesterday morning while I was out scrapping my car? We should gab... And ask E to the damn wedding! :) (Am I right?)

 
At Sunday, 18 December, 2005, Blogger MJW said...

Long ago, I suggested that you should ask a certain someone to that wedding. What's the hold up? :-)

Also, regarding the seven things you want to do before you die, timing is everything. If you save the rhinoceros-kissing fantasy for the seventh of the seven things, it would almost certainly be your last act on earth. :-)

 
At Sunday, 18 December, 2005, Blogger Glen said...

Yes, ask the man from Chi-town if he will accompany you to the wedding. If he accepts I think you should hint around and see if you can stay at his place...might be some major kissing action!!

An unsolicited gift to a co-worker shows definite interest or at the very least that he likes you. Even if he is just hoping to start a dialogue with you, that's not half bad. Listen, you are smart, very pretty and an easy conversationalist so give it a shot. I consider you marriage material so keep on trying, there are people out there for you!

 
At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have Eric here to help you out in the Guy department.:)

Over to you, Honey...

Hi, Kathleen, It's Eric.

Well, there is no way to give a bullet proof answer to question like that. Since Actions can always be motivated by various things. For example, someone could bring by a gift because they would like to develop a business relationship with someone else or because they're generally enthused about Christmas Traditions...or because they have a love interest.

The nature of the present might be helpful for you to determine why it was given a little better.

However someone could give you something impersonal because they are shy...or something incredibly personal because they don't have any boundaries with anyone. As you can see, this always involves cross-checking one information with another one. If you ask me (who is very lazy about holiday seasons and traditions, I would definitely only give you a gift if I deeply cared about you. ) I know you want a definite answer, but there is just no way anyone could tell you that. But if you look past your own insecurities/vanities (whichever one dominates you)you can DEFINITELY determine why he did it. If you can't life is too short to not try to go after a hunch.

As far as the wedding goes. Carpe Diem girl. Go for it. Anybody who can't handle an invitation isn't worth your time anyways :) Don't waste your time worrying about whether something might seen suspiciously. You would miss out on life.

Hope we'll hear a romantic tale!

Take care and Merry Christmas..

from both of us.

-Eric

(and Clarity)

 
At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Blogger mr. schprock said...

The guy who made the special trip with the Christmas present: definitely likes you. Couldn't be more obvious. Case closed.

The question is: do you like him?

 
At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jason - If I get laid off, I'd have to give up my chocolate and beer. ;-)

Smed - Yeah, I was afraid of that. I've been pretty sure for quite some time that he's interested, but as I do not return the feelings, it's a tad awkward. Am I supposed to giggly on the wine or him? ;-)

Kathy - I've asked men before and am just not sure they want to be asked by women - unless they look like a super model.

Nightmare - It was headphones which I had talked to him about a few months back. He recommended Bose, I said no way in hell I wanted to spend $120. I bought Koss.

Urs - A boy drove down our street? Yes, we must talk and yes, you're right. ;-)

MW - I was waiting for the invitation...now I'm waiting to see if I have a job in 2006, because there will be no attending of a wedding in another city w/no income.

Glen - You're too sweet.

Clarity & Eric - Carpe diem, indeed. I just don't want to make him uncomfortable - I'd rather be his friend than nothing.

 
At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Oy! The guy laid down some serious coin for the Bose headphones? Not to state the obvious, but the guy has the funky thigh sweats for you, and he clearly wants to jump your bones. I see this as a win:win situation. I mean, come on, Bose. Not too shabby. It's worth a bit of slap & tickle. :o)
As for the guy in the other city, hell YES invite him to the wedding. LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!!
Coulda, should, woulda. Horrible stuff.
You don't want to be on your deathbed singing "My Way", and get to the part with "regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention...", and then have to add "except not asking buddy out to that wedding way back in ought 6...that was a biggie."

 
At Tuesday, 20 December, 2005, Blogger Scott said...

I think you already know the answer to your own question. What else could it possibly mean?

My philosophy about the dating scene is this: do it. Period. Don't think about it, just do it. Do it Do IT DO IT!!! There is no second place, no consolation prize, not even a thanks for coming.

Have I made myself clear?

 
At Tuesday, 20 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my sweet! What a lovely message you left me (as usual). I totally get what you mean about the way I look. It's hard to tell from that photo but it does make me look quite wee and sweet. And I suppose I do kind of look like that, but then I open my mouth. And all that sweetness fades away in an instant!! I think most people imagine I look quite sassy and full of it. Or maybe not. Hmm. Anyway - I was thinking of keeping that photo of my eye on my template. I might give it a go. Talk to you soon lovely xxx

 
At Tuesday, 20 December, 2005, Blogger Kathleen said...

Mr. Schprock - Of course not. I never like the boys that like me and the boys I like never like me. ;-)

Dave - Thanks for the visual! ;-)

Scott - I was wondering where you were. Yes, you've made yourself perfectly clear! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home