Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Shopping!

Okay, I have to confess that over the weekend I bought Capri pants. Yes, I know, just last week I said I would never wear them, but Martha had made me promise months ago when I was visiting her in Mexico that I would at least try some on. We were out shopping on Saturday and she said, "Will you try on some Capris?" *sigh* "Yes." This was a woman on a mission. I tried on five or six different pairs (this is where all that bloody exercise should be showing results, right? FUCK), two of which were khaki. I said that there was no way I was going to blow TWO of my Never Wears by buying khaki capris!!!! I ended up with an extremely dark brown (looked almost black) pair that had skinnier bottoms so my legs didn't look like sticks. Of course, I own no brown shoes, so that's next on the list. DSW here I come. I also bought a white blouse since most of my clothes are black, red or blue (not really colors that go with brown). Now the trick will be getting me to wear the damn things.

I ran into the worst shoe salesperson ever in the history of the world on Saturday while shopping for brown shoes. I worked as a shoe salesperson quite briefly back in college (three hours a week was not cutting it when I had to pay for college, so I had to find another job), so I know the drill. She was gone forever and brought me back the pair I wanted along with two other pairs which were more of an orange tan than the dark brown I was needing. I asked for some others and I stood there waiting and waiting and waiting. I finally looked around the store and my "sales" lady was busily talking to the woman behind the cash counter. And she continued to stand there for another five minutes. Another person asked if she could help me and I indicated that the woman over there, you know, the one chatting away, was helping me. I don't know if Ms. ChattyKathy heard me, but she suddenly remembered she was helping a customer. She came back with nothing that time as they didn't have my size. She had figured me for not a buyer, so she didn't try. And that pisses me off. I was a buyer, but not from her when you can't be bothered to help me find some shoes.

Why is it more fun to find a favorite movie on TV than it is to throw the DVD into the player? Same with a favorite piece of music. I own at least three different versions of Mahler's Symphony No. 5 and I heard it on CBC last week as I was driving home from the gym. I think for me part of the thrill is that I recognised it as being the finale of the 5th symphony. Normally, I recognise the piece of music as something I know and/or like, but rarely can come up with the composer or the title of the piece, but last week not only did I know that information I also knew what movement! Woohoo!!! The pure excitement that is my life!

My LB is coming into town this weekend for YS's graduation party. He's actually staying for a week which is really exciting. I love my LB (even if he is a rabid conservative Republican who gets books on Reagan for Christmas and is happy about it) and am looking forward to spending time with him. Of course it means I'll be seeing the rest of my family as well, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I can handle my extended family, assorted cousins and aunts and uncles, but my immediate family drives me up the friggin' wall. I've been wondering if maybe it's time to move away again. I despise calling my mother at work because she puts me on hold forever. Tell me you can't talk or something. This time she continued working and was talking to someone else. Again, say you can't talk and you'll call me later. I really hate it when she does it to me on my cell phone. Yeah, I want to waste minutes listening to your office's crappy hold music. I just have no patience with her these days. She pulls this passive-aggressive shit which I know can be laid firmly at the sperm donor's feet, but for Pete's sake, they've been divorced for damn near 15 years. Grow a spine! A few years back YS and I decided we wanted to see Barry Manilow in concert (yes, I know, deal with it) as there were rumors he was going to stop touring soon. We were discussing it at OS's house and Mom just sat there pouting. Yes, you're right, we could have asked her to go, but we didn't want to. Since we're single, it's assumed that we can do stuff with Mom, and trust me, we do, but occasionally we want to hang out as sisters w/o their mother tagging along. Now, if she had ever asked specifically or said, "That sounds like fun. I'd like to see Barry too. Can I go with you?" We probably would have said Yes, but we had decided that we are not going to reward her passive-aggressive behavior anymore. And yes, we told her this. Stop the damn pouting and speak up if you want to do something!!! Pouting does not look good on a 60-year-old woman!

I watched three movies last night. Koyaanisqatsi which was recommended by Clarity's husband Eric in this entry. I actually watched the commentary portion of the movie last night as I had watched the movie itself a few weeks back. It's essentially a series of pictures set to the music of Philip Glass. It was provocative and intriguing and thought-provoking. The music was brilliantly done and Philip Glass' style was perfect for this type of movie. I want to see the subsequent two films of the trilogy now. I have added them to my queue at Netflix and near the top of the list. The second movie I watched was The Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark, Martin Balsam and Sydney Poitier. Wow! It was a very intense movie filmed during the height of the Cold War and was worth the watch. But after it was over I needed to watch some nice and light and funny. I went through my pile of movies looking for one that was short enough (it was 7:45 p.m.) and would amuse me. I ended up picking Ice Age. I had seen it once and remembered that I liked it much better than I had thought I would. I threw that in and it was the perfect movie to take my mind off The Bedford Incident.

I was only able to do an hour on the elliptical last night as I was having some trouble breathing and I simply had no energy. I decided that the treadmill could wait until today when I am planning on doing both machines yet again. I was reading someone else's blog today and she was saying that she's been exercising for one month and already is fitting into clothes she couldn't fit into and her husband is noticing. I'm so freaking jealous. Why can't I fucking lose weight? I'm doing the whole eat six small meals a day shit and I don't think it's helping at all. It's just so frustrating that after six months I'm at the same point I was. Yes, I know, I know, I've bitched about it enough, but you have no idea how frustrating it is to do TWO hours of cardio a day and have nothing to show for it, except a whole load of books read.

And on that note I shall leave you all for another day!

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, 02 August, 2005, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Don't be jealous - seriously. I have a long way to go. I am seeing results but am nowhere near my goal. Keep up the good work - your results are probably showing and you just don't realize it.

 
At Tuesday, 02 August, 2005, Blogger MJW said...

Do you really, really, really need to lose weight, Kathleen? I bet not. :-)

 
At Wednesday, 03 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with MW on that one:), but I'll keep my mouth shut. We all have things we strive to improve in ourselves, it's what keeps us going. it's just good to keep things in the right perspective:). Speaking of perspective, thanks for your caring and comforting note. I really really appreciated. You're right and maybe I CAN talk to my boss about a leave of absense. but he might hire other illustrators once we leave and not be able to afford us if we return. But it's always good to keep our options open.

By the way, my birthday is August 9th and you don't have to send me anything! *shaking head* You're too sweet and incredibly amazing. The package you sent me months ago is enough to cover 10 birthdays. I wear your necklace all the time, still reading your books..that scarf is one of my most treasured possessions. I must sound like a dork, but things like that mean so much to me. So don't give my birthday even a second thought.

I'm returning to America the morning of the 10th. I can't wait!

P.S. That's so cool that you saw "Koyaanisqatsi", I can't wait to tell Eric

Take care!

Love, Clarity

 
At Wednesday, 03 August, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree about films on TV being more appealing than DVD. I have many DVD's that I never put on but when the film is on TV I'm there watching it. No idea why!

Nice blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home