Friday, June 10, 2005

The DSO and Ginastera - WOW!

Last night's DSO concert was unbelievable!!! I mean when you leave muttering, "That was bloody brilliant." and "The DSO fuckin' rocked tonight." You know it was a good concert. And holy shit, did they ever fuckin' rock!!! The first two pieces were lovely and all, but they were completely overshadowed by Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (if you've ever seen Fantasia, think of the dinosaur piece), but then the Rite of Spring, amazingly enough, was beyond overshadowed by the encore. Neeme Jarvi ALWAYS ALWAYS (well, he didn't once, but that wasn't his fault due to the lengthy power outage in the middle of the concert) ALWAYS does an encore and I was really looking forward to it. And Bloody Fucking Hell, it brought the entire crowd to its feet yelling and applauding. Well, what the hell was this fabulous encore already, Kathleen? It was by an Argentinian composer, Alberto Ginastera (HEE-na-stera) and it was the finale (Malambo) from his ballet "Estancia" (ranch essentially, if I remember my not used very often Spanish correctly). I've already sent an e-mail to Glen asking him to look in to getting it for me. I'm going to have quite the little stack of CDs waiting for me at Switched On when I finally get there.

If your computer (my work one doesn't) allows you to listen to the little soundbites at amazon.com, do yourself a huge favor (even if you don't think you like classical music) and go and listen to the Malambo (finale). I don't know how much they let you hear, but I'm sure it's worth the listen. And if you live in the Detroit area and have nothing better to do this weekend, get your sorry butt down to Orchestra Hall (8:00 p.m. Friday, 8:30 Saturday, and 1:00 p.m.(?) Sunday). You won't regret it.

I'm sure Darrell will enjoy it tonight. I got very little sleep last night as YS and I had to go to TJs for dessert. Always YUM!!! Oh yeah, Darrell, if you're reading this, you better get the Boblo Island Memory Maker soon, because it's moved to the white menu.

Next week are the last concerts of the year and the last concerts conducted by Neeme as the Music Director, before he heads off to New Jersey. *sigh*. I picked up my ticket to the gala concert on Thursday last night (Neeme will be joined by his excessively musically talented children for a concert "to be announced from the stage.), and then my usual Friday night concert. I have to remember to call Mom and see if she's available.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, 12 June, 2005, Blogger foxymama said...

If Mom can't go, I'll go with you. Neeme Jarvi is a super conductor (no pun intended, well, maybe...)and I have not had the pleasure of seeing him conduct live. The Rock and I have compared stories of who we saw conducting live. He actually caught a concert at Tanglewood where Aaron Copeland conducted...but I've seen George Szell (when I was very young) and Sir Thomas Beecham. Sometimes we get a little glimpse of heaven right down here on earth. I hope you enjoy the concert... ~:^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home