Monday, November 15, 2004

My Weekend in Food

Every once in a while there's a feel good story that shows up in the paper amidst all the depressing shit about wars and budget deficits and murders. A four-year old little girl got her wish to be a Princess for the day from the Make-A-Wish people. I so wish I had known about it ahead of time because I think that is one parade* I would have liked to have seen. You have to go the front page of the Freep in order to see the picture of her. I wish the Freep would include more pictures within the story than they do. Other newspapers have figured it out, not sure why they can't.

My weekend was not all that thrilling, but you'll be pleased to hear that I did not spend it at home knitting. Nope, I got out and about. Unfortunately I did not get to the Skinny Puppy concert on Friday night, but you can thank Ticketmaster for that. On the first page it said that SP tix were $20. Cool, I thought. Those are 80s prices there! Well, when you clicked to look for two tix, the next page the tix became $24.50 plus the additional $6.50 surcharge for the "convenience" of buying them from TM. So, within the space of two minutes, tickets went from $20 to $31. I hate Ticketmaster. That's all there is to it. I had planned on buying them at the box office that day, but they were apparently not open as my only options for buying were on-line or by phone with the $6.50 surcharge. *sigh* I knew Urs was only going because I wanted to go and that she wasn't overly thrilled about going, so I decided that I wouldn't make her pay $31 to do something she didn't really want to do. I'm a good friend like that.

Instead we ended up at a comedy club. Her friend Christine's husband was emceeing the show that night, so we got in free (which is the only way to do comedy clubs, IMHO, what with their $5.50 beers and two drink minimums). The headliner was a nationally renowned comedian named Basile. I had never heard of him before but I'm not exactly up on my comedians. All three comedians that night were funny, from Mike (Christine's husband) to Kevin Alberstadt (the opener) and Basile. It was good to laugh. After the show we kidnapped Christine (as Mike had the 10:00 show still to do) and we went to Red Robin for food. Now, I didn't need to eat anything, but did that stop me from ordering? Hell no! I love Red Robin's mushroom burger (made with a Boca burger, of course) and I have ZERO willpower. *sigh* It was SO good, though!!!!

Red Robin's burger was NOT the highlight of my weekend food, however. Saturday I got Taco Bell (I haven't had it in MONTHS) and then pizza – this is what you get when you kidsit your teenaged niece and nephew (basically make sure they don’t have a party or an orgy). Not that I'm complaining. I love Taco Bell and pizza. But still, I have not reached the highlight of my weekend, food-wise.

Sunday started out the usual way, except that I hit the snooze too many times and then had to drive like a bat out of hell to get to church on time. Mom and the kids even beat me there (a first). I had to be at Pamela's parents' house by 1:00 p.m. for the very necessary hair cut and color. Okay, the color wasn't that necessary but what the heck, color that damn grey and bring back the red I always had which has started to fade so people call me blonde – which I hate). I hadn't seen her parents in a long time so it was good to catch up with them while Pamela cut their hair as well. Then we went to the restaurant where her boyfriend works. I had seen the restaurant a month or so ago when I was wandering around Royal Oak with Martha and we had talked about going there at some point, but hadn't gotten there. And for some reason, I had never put two and two together and figured out that it was the same restaurant where Santi worked. Oh my heavens, Pamela and I shared the artichoke fritters (quite yummy) and we both ordered the potato truffle raviolis. People, it was sooooooo good, it was unreal. I mean, I want to go back today and get it again. HEAVEN!!! And I can't wait to try their twice fried French fries served with your choice of mayo. My arteries are hardening just thinking about it and I don't care!!!!

* I hate parades. Absolutely positively hate them. I think they're boring beyond belief. I remember waking up as late as possible on Thanksgiving mornings so that I didn't have to watch the Detroit Parade. My father would always say, "You missed the parade." Um, no, I didn't, not at all. And the idea of actually GOING to the parade? Sit outside on a late November Detroit morning and freeze to death to watch a bunch of floats and high school bands march by? My idea of pure unadulterated hell! I can't even imagine why people think that's fun. I went once many years ago when I was a kid and it was beyond freezing. I can't remember anything except freezing to death. I'm not sure we ever even saw a single float. Although that's probably my selective memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home