Monday, September 29, 2008

Paul Newman & September Books and Movies

I'm outta here tomorrow right after work and I'll be gone for two weeks. Woohoo!!!

Books

Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich - 310 pages - As you obviously tell, this was the fourteenth installment in Ms. Evanovich's Stephanie Plum's hapless bounty hunter series. While they are enjoyable, I have reached the point of being somewhat annoyed by how hapless Stephanie is. I had announced before I read it that if another of her cars gets blown up I was done with the series. For the record, her POS car did not get blown up in this book.

Phantom Prey by John Sandford - 373 pages - While this is the 18th in Mr. Sandford's Prey series, it has not reached the formulaic point of Ms. Evanovich's. This one was particularly interesting because Lucas Davenport has to venture into the "goth" world. I kind of object to the impression the world has of "goths," since it's not all dark and evil. Mr. Sandford handled it with a light hand and that was nice. I will always recommend a John Sandford book as he's a very good writer.

The Sewing Circles of Herat: A Personal Voyage Through Afghanistan by Christina Lamb - 339 pages - This is a book that ranks up there with Three Cups of Tea which I told you all last December that you should read...in fact, that everybody should read. This is another of those. Ms. Lamb writes about her affection (my word) for Afghanistan gleaned from her years as a foreign correspondent starting from when she rode with the mujaheddin against the Soviets until she went back after the fall of the Taliban. The Sewing Circles of Herat refers to the way the women in Herat taught the girls in that city under the Taliban under the guise of sewing circles. Instead of sewing they were being taught literature, etc., but if the Taliban were making the rounds, they had a little boy playing in the street watching who would run in when danger was near and the books would go into hiding and a makeshift sewing project would come out. Please read this book (and Three Cups of Tea).

Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky by John Moe - 313 pages - This book was not as funny as Sweet Jesus, I Hate Bill O'Reilly, but it was darn amusing, especially his footnotes. By the end of the book, he had discovered a bit of man-love for Richard Nixon, but still didn't love George W. Bush. The stories of his 4-year-old Sierra Club member son were very cute. I definitely recommend it.

Book of the Month: The Sewing Circles of Herat: A Personal Voyage Through Afghanistan by Christina Lamb (but you all knew that, didn't you?)


Movies

I See A Dark Stranger 1946 (TCM) - Not enough reviews at rottentomato.com for a percentage - This movie portrayed a young Deborah Kerr who was raised by an Irish father who hated the British to the point where during WWII she went to London to join the IRA, but was rebuffed as there was a truce (I guess) on. But she ends up recruited by the Germans. Watch the movie to see how it all ends up. You can't go wrong with Deborah Kerr and Trevor Howard.

Escape to Witch Mountain 1974/5 (TCM) 67% - I was flipping channels last Sunday (9/21) and found this. I hadn't seen it in a very long time, but always loved it, so I took the opportunity to do so. You've all seen it, you all know the story - and if you don't you're probably young. ;-) I thought it was interesting that supposedly some movie studio is going to make a new version of this movie but are going to call it Race to Witch Mountain or something like that. I'm not betting money on me bothering. I object to studios just regurgitating the same movies all over again. It's been done. Find something else to do.

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep 2007 (N) 73% - I loved this movie, but I've always been a sucker for the mystery of the Loch Ness monster. I like to believe that it exists. I have no idea why the mystery enthralls me so, but it does, so there ya go. This was a cute movie.

Movie of the Month: The Water Horse

I'm sure you've all heard by now that Paul Newman died this weekend. Although I was expecting it, I wasn't really prepared for it, as I was hoping that him going home to die of cancer was untrue. He was 83 and while a former co-worker thought he was a "minor" actor, we all know better. I shall treasure my exceptionally cool jacket signed by PLN (on the orange vertical stripe) at Road America a couple of years ago. I shall also treasure this picture. I did not take it and I don't know who did or I'd give him/her credit. All I know is that it shows how much TFG wanted PLN at his shitty May race that he didn't stop PLN from wearing his ORANGE (which kind of clashes with the Icky Racing League's red/white/blue colors) Champ Car Championship hat while at that shitty May race.



Here is the article about Paul Newman that you probably didn't see, as it's all racing related. You all know about his movies, so I'm here to broaden your horizons.

God speed, Mr. Newman. All Champ Car fans everywhere thank you for years of complete support. I'm just sorry you had to see the demise of Champ Car, the racing series you loved. I shall never forget your Daytona 24 Hour GT class win in the Nobody's Fool Mustang in 1995 at the age of 70. You will be missed.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At Tuesday, 30 September, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Great article about Paul Newman. Thanks.

Have fun in SF!

 
At Monday, 06 October, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

Paul Newman lived a wonderful life and left behind an amazing legacy. Not many can say the the same.

I always look forward to your movie/book lists. Thanks for posting them.

 
At Tuesday, 07 October, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

Hope you have a good time on SF!!!!

 
At Friday, 10 October, 2008, Blogger Ben O. said...

I'm Back!

Come on over and say hello . .

Ben O.

 
At Saturday, 11 October, 2008, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I'll have to read Conservatize Me. Sounds funny. I don't think I could love Bush either. I tried. I hate him.

I remember liking Escape to Witch Mountain as a kid, but probably don't want to see it again because it would ruin it.

I'll watch Water Horse. If you liked it, it's worth a watch.

Oh, still don't have my review up. :(
I've been so busy. Nah, that's no excuse. I've been a scatterbrain.

 
At Monday, 13 October, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome home. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

 
At Wednesday, 15 October, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Dr. - You're most welcome.

Beth - Oh, I have a book for you this month!

Heather - SF is always a good time.

Ben O - Nice to see you around, young man.

ZS - Get a move on. How can I link to your review if you don't write it!?

George - Thanks. Do I know you?

 
At Wednesday, 15 October, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh, is that you, Jorge?

 
At Thursday, 16 October, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

I am really not good with the names am I?

I'm talking dinner over with Mona. How do you feel about middle eastern?

We've got a couple of hole-in-the-wall favorites.

 
At Thursday, 16 October, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jorge - Middle Eastern is all good. Where do you like to go?

 
At Thursday, 16 October, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

Do you know Al Sultan on Inkster, just north of Cherry Hill? We used to be regualrs there, pre-Peanut.

Second choice is the Country Kitchen on Schaffer between Ford and Michigan.

Do you have a favorite?

 
At Monday, 20 October, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

Hey, I was looking at The Historian. Is it more accurate description about Vlad or blood sucking fiend novel? I'd like both. Hit me up, girl. I'd like to know. (haha on the hit me up)

 
At Wednesday, 22 October, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

Are you back yet? How was San Fran?

 
At Friday, 24 October, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jorge - Sorry, bronchitis took over my life. I just found out that my replacement place for La Shish is owned by the brother of the absconding owner of La Shish. There's a place at The Heights that's good. Can't even begin to remember the name right now, however.

Beth - It's very much about Vlad, but it follows all the rules that I know you like. I have the hardcover copy which is 642 pages and it definitely held my attention the entire time. I actually found it jarring when they'd call him Dracula (kind of over the top, if you know what I mean) instead of Vlad the Impaler. Very historical, but fascinating.

Fermi - I'm back, but as usual after traveling I've been sick.

 
At Monday, 27 October, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

Sorry to hear about the Bronchitis and I hope you're feeling better. I was becoming concerned.

La Shish? Good gravy, that place turned into the Middle Eastern version of the Olive Garden in the last 5 years or so.

I'm pretty sure the place in the Heights is something like Cedar Garden. We haven't been there and I haven't heard much about them.

I have some ideas for times and days but final approval will come from Mona.

Let me know what your email address is and we can figure out the particulars.

All the best-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home