Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Today is Mom's birthday and I'm due at Grandma's country club at 7:00 p.m. for dinner. Problem with the country club is the "no jeans" rule. *sigh* Makes Grandma happy though and isn't that what is actually important? I gave Mom her presents on Sunday after church when I took her out for breakfast - we went really high class and hit the IHOP. I knit her a fabulous silk/alpaca scarf in a very pretty blue. I told her that I wanted it to be her signature piece. She didn't seem to know what I meant by that.

Grandma moved into assisted living and somehow managed to get a two-bedroom apt after all. She moved into a one bedroom and then the following week or so a two bedroom opened up, so she moved right up into that and apparently it's the biggest apt. in the place. She has new furniture and she's looking forward to taking knitting class which they supposedly offer there, but they haven't had one since she moved in. I gave her some yarn and two pairs of my favorite knitting needles Labor Day weekend and now she's just waiting for the class.

This past weekend we, as in southeast Michigan, got rain the entire freaking weekend - 3-6" apparently. I thought about Fermicat the whole time wondering if we were getting Georgia's share. Sure we hadn't had rain since July, but nothing compared to them and I feel guilty getting rain when they're in such dire straits. Not that we don't need it, too, but I think they need it worse. Of course, I'd rather get the rain now and let them get the wet stuff in the winter when here it would be white crap falling from the sky.

Have I mentioned that I'm heading off to San Francisco at the very end of the month (late on Sept. 30) and spending 9 days there and then off to Vegas to spend time with my racing friends who I haven't seen since April (except for HRH who I just saw Labor Day Friday and will see again this Friday)? The plan is to go back to the Valley of Fire. Other than that, my only plan is to get my Champ Car tattoo with HRH. She wants hers on her ankle. I'm against the ankle as I hear it's really painful there. I discussed the tattoo placement with Ursula who is my tattoo guidance counselor. I want it somewhere which isn't too obvious, too painful, too white-trash or too tramp-stampy...which leaves the inside of my left wrist where I can hide it with my watch.

Oh, I never updated you on the Big Milk Issue. I hated the soy milk - had I told you that part? - so I went with rice milk/drink the next time around and I have to say that it's MUCH better. I haven't tried cooking anything with it yet, but it's working out fabulously with my cereal, which is 90% of my milk usage.

I have no clue what's going on in my city but there are police sirens going constantly! When I was walking home a police car went SCREAMING down Oakwood. And I had to walk *in* Oakwood to get home because of all the roadwork occurring on all the streets around my home - including my very own street which is torn to hell. In fact, I'm not sure there's a street in the western half of my city that's not under construction. I'm wondering if they'd be better off doing ONE street at a time and concentrating all the workers on that one street for a shorter period of time than disrupting a good number of streets and displacing numerous people's parking spots. Of course, if this helps the drainage issue (supposedly they're putting in much larger pipes for the sewage or whatever) and it's done quickly enough, I might regret my whining. I'll keep you posted on how long I have to fight for parking with the apts. dwellers on the other street.

See why I haven't been posting? You'd have been even more bored with the nothingness I have to report. ;-)

Have a lovely week!

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At Tuesday, 16 September, 2008, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Grandma moved into assisted living and somehow managed to get a two-bedroom apt after all. She moved into a one bedroom and then the following week or so a two bedroom opened up, so she moved right up into that and apparently it's the biggest apt. in the place.

Score! That's awesome she has some extra space.

Looking forward to seeing you when you get here. Hopefully the show's good.

 
At Tuesday, 16 September, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

Thanks for thinking of us. Yes, much of the state of Georgia is still in a moderate or severe hydrological drought. We haven't had a significant rain event since the remnants of Fay passed through.

Sounds like your grandma is getting along fine! I hope she gets that knitting class to happen soon.

If ankles are a painful place for a tattoo, I suspect that wrists are not far behind. Just a thought. I won't get one ever, because I can't think of anything I am sure I'd still want on my body in thirty years!

 
At Tuesday, 16 September, 2008, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Here's what you do about the no-jeans rule: Show up in your underwear and with your jeans in a plastic bag. They'll have you wearing them in no time. If shy, track pants might work.

San Fran eh? Lucky you. I'd give my left oeqnw...

 
At Wednesday, 17 September, 2008, Blogger Jason said...

I think that the inside of the wrist would be a lot more painful than the ankle. But if it's small enough to be hidden by your watchband it shouldn't take very long to do. Certainly classier than a tramp stamp. Have a good, safe trip to SF. I'll be in Seattle/Walla Walla/Richmond/Woodinville/Seattle at the same time. The west coast will be two people cooler for a short stint I guess. Hope they can handle us. Thanks for coming out on Sunday and for the always appreciated Stormy card.

 
At Wednesday, 17 September, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

Boy, this got really long. Sorry.

Grandma's a member of a country club? How cool is that!? And I’m all for the “no jeans” rule. For more on my thoughts about it stop by. I totally got on my soapbox the other day.

Anyway… I’m not a huge fan of tattoos in general. Once in a while it seems like a neat idea but then I return to rationality. I realize that what I’m about to say will sound sexist, and I really apologize, but I can’t think of a way to express the thought without potentially ruffling feathers. Please keep in mind this is simply an opinion and in no way meant to sway anyone in regards to their personal choices.

I dislike tattoos on women. When I see a woman with a tattoo, no matter how attractive she may be or the location of the artwork, I find it distracting. The best comparison I can come up with is painting the Venus De Milo or Michelangelo’s David. They’d still be brilliant works of art, but the paint would be a distraction that makes it harder to appreciate the real beauty of the art. So when I see a tattoo on a woman it tends to take the focus away from her as a whole and draw my attention to the tattoo. Ankle tattoos really bother me when I see a woman in formal wear with them. It’s like wearing brown shoes with a tuxedo. The name “tramp stamp” means I don’t have to discuss that location further. Arm tattoos are redneck/biker looking and tattoos in the area of the décolletage or on the neck just scream trailer park or possibly carnie.

If you do decide to have it done, I would say put it high enough on your hip that it would be covered by your bathing suit. That would make it a “by invitation only” kind of thing and could, in the right circumstances, be attractive.

If your intention is to declare your appreciation for CART perhaps you could also commission a tasteful piece of jewelry, say a necklace or pin that would allow you show your appreciation for the sport while at the same time being able to choose when, where and how you display that appreciation.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

I prefer real milk. Despite what the vegans over at PETA say, it’s good for you.

The rain fully sucked this weekend, but we did need it. We needed it everywhere except my basement carpet. Two of my neighbors were in the same spot, but after 70 years you have to expect a basement to get a little damp when rainfall nears biblical proportions. The biggest disappointment was that we didn’t go to my mother-in-laws place where I had planned to rebuild her front steps. I was looking forward to that project.

I haven’t heard of a crime wave over there, but anything’s possible. Based on the time of day I’d wonder if it was bar fight / drunk and disorderly type of stuff.

And the construction over by you is a bit inconvenient. We were over there on Sunday I was surprised at how it expanded over the last week or two. Take heart, it can’t last too long. On a slightly related note it makes me wonder (once again) if I really know where your place is. I thought I knew, but this latest hint makes me once again question my judgment. On the plus side, you remain a woman of mystery, at least to me.

 
At Wednesday, 17 September, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

ZS - My friend saw them earlier this year and told me the next day "You missed a great show last night." Um, wouldn't have missed it if you had told me about it! ;-)

Fermi - Can you tell I'm Catholic feeling guilty that we get rain and you don't? Ursula said her wrist tattoo hurt the least, so I'm going with it. Yeah, I've always said the same thing...we'll see when I get home from Vegas if I have a tattoo or not. I am a big wuss.

FWG - ;-) I wore comfy but dressy pants. Don't need to upset Grandma. You should come to SF!!!

Jason - I'm trusting Urs on the wrist issue. I can also talk to my cousin as she has a tattoo there as well. There's always the chance I'll wimp out.

Jorge - If it's not a long comment from you, I worry. I have no problem with your opinion because I have never ever wanted a tattoo. Problem with the hip is that that is where my sister's is and it would look like a copy cat move and we can't have that. The wrist is good because I always wear a watch. I ruled out the ankle for the exact reason you said. HRH never wears formal wear, i.e., a dress, so it's perfect for her. Jewelry isn't a bad idea, I have a jeweler within walking distance of me, so I could talk to him and see what he thinks. HRH will be here this Friday so we might discuss this in further depth. I live between your preferred vegetable market and a certain museum. If you can find both those locations, you can find me. We (you, Mona, Peanut and me) should meet for dinner sometime.

 
At Thursday, 18 September, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

I kind of figured that much of it out, but I think that leaves me with two choices. The only hint I can think of is Laverne and Shirley or Shady Acre.

And you’re right, we should have dinner one of these days. Where you can take a squirmy, picky two year old and a vegetarian?

 
At Thursday, 18 September, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jorge - And your hints mean nothing to me, as I have no clue what you mean by Shady Acre (which google tells me is a puppy farm). Between the place where you buy vegetables and a certain museum, there are only two real locations for living (on the opposite side of the street), a house and some apt. bldgs. Got it now? As long as you don't pick Miler's, most restaurants are fairly vegetarian. ;-)

 
At Thursday, 18 September, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Go to Millers. :P

Have fun in San Fran. I'm sure the ol' haunts will bring back memories a plenty.

 
At Friday, 19 September, 2008, Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Have fun on your trip! The inside of the wrist is going to hurt, but you can manage. I got all three of mine on my left thigh, so that's a more "fatty" area.

 
At Friday, 19 September, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I don't know the situation in Detroit, but it could be they're facing big fines from the EPA over sewage overflows. Too many cities have put off infrastructure improvements for too long, and now find themselves in the position of having to do it all at once. Nashville just finished spending $750M to upgrade inadequate sewers, some of which were over 100 years old.

We got a lot of wind from Ike but no rain. I need to go out and deal with limbs this afternoon - I've been putting it off all week because I hate fooling with the chainsaw.

Glad to hear some good news about Grandma!

 
At Friday, 19 September, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - If you ever came to Detroit, I'd take you to Miller's and then watch you eat a burger, as that's all they serve there - burger, cheeseburger, fries or onion rings. I'm really looking forward to my trip.

ETW - I'm almost betting I wimp out. Problem with thigh is baring it to get the tattoo. ;-)

Dr - Hmm, that's a possibility because I know that Schneider had to disconnect all the downspouts from going into the ground because of flooding problems. If it helps my sinks & tub drain better I'm all for it, I have to say. Still, exceptionally inconvenient, even walking. We got a boatload of rain, including a tornado that touched down about 15 miles from me last Saturday, so we got wind and rain from good ol' Ike. The tornado actually ripped the roof of an apt. bldg. and it's now condemned.

 
At Sunday, 21 September, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad things worked out for your grandmother. I'm taking it as a good sign!

Looking forward to seeing you soon. Hope the fog goes away by then!

 
At Monday, 22 September, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

I've missed seeing you. And I'm with Fermicat, thanks for thinking of us. ;)

I hate getting dressed up ... or when I can't wear jeans. I have to say, I wish men's shorts were the rage. I just love my men's shorts. Haha.

I'm glad your grandma is settling in. I never grew up with any grandparents ... or at least I didn't see the one grandma I had much and when I did, she was rather a cold fish. When I see people who love their grandparents, it is so foreign to me.

This is why I have big plans on being a grandmother. I really want to be that extra extension of love, support, and fun for my grandkids!

 
At Monday, 22 September, 2008, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Glad Grandma got nice big digs! Today it's 72 in SF at 1:48 and this week will be btwn 72-68, I hate it when it's that hot. Let's talk more about tattoo placement when you get here, I can't wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home