Monday, July 21, 2008

Haircuts & Grandma

Ah, life is good...no, I have no clue if I'm still going to have a job two weeks from now, but I did get my hair cut. It's the little things, isn't it?

I was very bad last week about updating you on Grandma's condition, wasn't I? Last I left you Grandma had a blood clot in her lung. She didn't get transferred to the main hospital until Wednesday because there were no empty beds (which I find fascinating considering how the health insurance companies don't let you stay in the hospital for anything). It was actually late Wednesday (rush hour-ish) by the time she got to the main hospital and I think it was Thursday before she actually got a room. Insane!

The medical professionals performed a Doppler test on Wednesday which found additional blod clots in her left and right legs. She wasn't allowed out of bed, until these professionals inserted a screen into her vein(?) on Friday which apparently is to break up any clots that work their way northward.

Today she got released from the hospital and is going back to the rehab place where she spent however many months a little while back. She'll be there for a while, I guess, until her blood pressure gets under control. She won't be going back home, though, from what I can tell. She mentioned a couple of weeks back that she wanted to move to an assisted living place not far from her condo. I guess the time she spent at the rehab place made her realise that it was fun to be around people her own age, people to talk to, and have activities in which to participate. I don't know when this will happen or what will happen to Grandma's condo, but as long as she's happy that's what matters.

Other than that, not much is going on around here. I'm enjoying the Tour de France (yesterday's stage, the first in the Alps, was fabulous with a first time American going off in the breakaway and lasting, even if he did finish 3rd) this year. I was very upset with the few announcements of people being kicked out for doping, but it's good they're catching them. They're doing a great job catching the cheaters and eliminating them immediately. I don't understand why there are riders even trying to cheat anymore, but I guess there will always be people who think they're above the law.

Time to fix some dinner...wonder what I have in this house.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At Monday, 21 July, 2008, Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Glad your grandma is being looked after well and good for you getting a haircut. It is the little things in life. :-)

 
At Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Glad to hear Grandma's hanging in there.

The rewards of success at the highest levels of competition insure that there will always be some cheating going on in sports. Guess the bike racers learned nothing from Floyd Landis.

 
At Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

ETW - Thanks.

Dr. - Grandma's a fighter, that's for sure. I'm hoping the way they're arresting riders who dope and taking them away in front of cameras will make the riders think before they decide it's worth it. Their careers are ruined and they're in disgrace. I'd be embarrassed to try to get a job anywhere after that.

 
At Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Glad Grandma has warmed up to the idea of an assisted living facility, they aren't all bad and I think a person wanting (or ok) with being there makes all the difference.

On the job front I wish I had encouraging words, but you know how I feel about work...

 
At Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Sal - Work sucks but I'm thinking sleeping on the streets (or living with Mom) is worse, so I am willing to put up with the whole work crap. ;-) I really think that her breaking her tibial plateau helped her to view assisted living as not that bad. I wouldn't bet money that she'd be so amenable if she hadn't experienced it already.

 
At Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your grandma is doing better. Can't keep a cute & elegant lady down for long!

Glad to hear about your hair, too. Nothing makes a girl feel worse than a bad one - or happier than a good one!

Still thinking good thoughts for you job-wise and visualizing you all safe & sound & happy.

xo

 
At Wednesday, 23 July, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Haircut? Hell darlin', you don't have any hair to begin with! :P

Glad grandma is doing better. We moved mine into an assisted living place and she loved it for as long as she could stay there and sew. It was when she was too bad to stay that things didn't go so well...

 
At Wednesday, 23 July, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Suzy - I just like a short one... ;-)

LL - You'd be amazed at how much hair was on my head...now, I agree, there's no hair, but Monday? It was a mop. Too bad to stay? As in she had to go to hospice?

 
At Thursday, 24 July, 2008, Blogger LL said...

No... full blown nursing home. Then she died. It was a good thing.

 
At Thursday, 24 July, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - I'm not ready for that...

 
At Friday, 25 July, 2008, Blogger Scott said...

I wish my grandma would move to an assisted living community, or at least into a community of folks that are older and sympathetic to her condition. At least yours sees the benefit and wants to live the rest of her life happily.

Thanks for the nice comment on my flash story!

 
At Saturday, 26 July, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

Glad to hear your Grandma is doing better!

 
At Sunday, 27 July, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

How is Grandma doing now? Is rehab helping her?

I haven't been watching Tour de France (or any other sport) at all. No time. :-( Those cheater people are so stupid. How do they think they are going to get away with it? What a stupid thing to attempt.

My hair is out of control also. The constant humidity down here does not help at all. It has been two months since the big chop. Definitely time to go back and get a trim.

 
At Tuesday, 29 July, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

Ditto to evil twin's comments. I should never read those first!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home