Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Whining

I've been a bit down this week, and I have no idea why. Okay, I know a little bit why. I have four tickets to this Friday's Tigers game and can't find a single person to go with me. My friend Marianne was supposed to go with me, and she even had two guys to go with us - kind of a pseudo date for my birthday - but last week she told me she couldn't find a babysitter, so I had one week to find three people for a Friday night. I originally was thinking a GNO with my friends The Two Carols and LK from work, but LK couldn't go because she had to drive three hours up north to pick up her daughter from camp and wouldn't get back to the Detroit area until well after the game start time (that was before said daughter destroyed her ankle at camp yesterday and LK has spent the past two days dealing with that). Neither of the Two Carols could go either. Then I tried two friends who actually like baseball, but they both have plans (as you'd expect this close to a Friday). Next up my cousin, but she can't go either. OS has a work party, YS doesn't get home until 7:30 on Friday night. LB lives in CA. I've asked the BAB and his two sons. No clue on what he decided because I had to bail out of work right at 2:00 because I had an appt. to pick up my new glasses at 3:00 (I've been told they look really cute - I'm not yet convinced).

I just called the BAB and he said, No, but you'll be able to find somebody else, won't you? Not so far. Ah well. I'm *this* close to asking Jorge. ;-)

I have a new boss at work and while I was apprehensive at first, I had a one-on-one with him on Tuesday and then a meeting with the rest of his supervisees today and it seems like it might be okay, after all. We shall see.

Tomorrow we have a three-hour All Hands meeting with the entire department (I'm taking TONS of knitting or my eyelids will be closing) and then it's off to Hines Drive for a mandatory department picnic (which reminds me that I have more water balloons to fill - I was having issues earlier - I'm not that good at the whole water balloon thing as we weren't allowed such frivolity growing up). I think it could be fun. Hmm, where are my frisbees?

I have a boatload of knitting to do, but just haven't really felt like doing anything other than potholders and dishcloths. Just a looksee at my To Do List:

Baby Blanket for Cousin A
Scarves for LK, CP, Knucklehead, Suzy (to whom I can't link, because I'm an idiot and only have her bookmarked at work), Cousin L, Cousin M, SIL, etc.

To say nothing of the rug I want to knit for myself, Grandma's sweater (which might turn into a shawl), and whatever I decide to knit for myself out of all the really pretty yarn I've bought because it was too beautiful to leave at the store. Oy vey.

It's sad, it's only 8:30 and I'm ready to go to bed.

Have a good weekend, just in case I don't get back - which we all know I won't. *sigh*

15 Comments:

At Wednesday, 13 August, 2008, Blogger LL said...

I'd go, but I'm afraid the plane tickets would be prohibitively expensive by now...

You could always put an ad on Craigslist! :P

 
At Thursday, 14 August, 2008, Blogger Rick Baumhauer said...

Delia and I would jump at those tickets, if it didn't involve either a flight or 12-hour drive. We can be there in spirit, if that helps :)

 
At Thursday, 14 August, 2008, Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Maybe send out a group email at work and see if you get any takers on the other tickets? You may not be best buds with the people, but at least you'd know them... Your knitting projects sound great - I'm jealous!

 
At Thursday, 14 August, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - That would have been fun, but yeah, can't imagine the airfare would be affordable.

Rick - Thanks. I appreciate it.

ETW - I've contemplated the work group, problem is that they're all freaking married with children, so would have to find a sitter, etc. Or they're a couple and then I'd have to find a fourth.

 
At Thursday, 14 August, 2008, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

LOL at you knitting at a meeting!

I was at a Junior Lacrosse executive meeting where the team secretary pulled out clippers and clipped his nails. At work our meetings are notoriously boring. I do up tally sheets - male attendees on the left margin; common swear words along the top and I track everyone's swearing. Their behaviour is disgraceful. I just look at the ladies and feel sorry for them. I'm not old-fashioned, thinking men swear and ladies don't. That just hapopens to be the pattern in our department.

Will you knit me some bookshelves?

 
At Thursday, 14 August, 2008, Blogger Jason said...

I'm sure you'll be able to gather a gaggle for the game tomorrow. Happy birthday if I don't see you. I think the gang was planning on Saturday festivities which I will not be able to make. I do have your B-Day gift at the store right now if you feel like stopping in. I'll probably take it home after Saturday for the next time their is a gathering. Cheers!

 
At Thursday, 14 August, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I didn't have to work...I'd come down!! Stupid job...Happy Birthday!

 
At Friday, 15 August, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

It's Friday... did you make it to the game?

 
At Friday, 15 August, 2008, Blogger Jenn said...

Well, it is FRIDAY night, how was the game?

I can't knit. I've tried! It is a lost art, glad to hear your doing it!

 
At Friday, 15 August, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Erm... I don't know if anyone asked this already but... it's Friday... did you get to the game? ;P

 
At Saturday, 16 August, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

No, I didn't get to the game. I couldn't find a single person to go with me, but I did manage to sell the tickets for face value. And since the Tigers lost 11-2, it was probably not a bad game to miss.

Thanks for asking.

 
At Saturday, 16 August, 2008, Blogger LL said...

The reason they lost is because you weren't in the stands cheering for "your Brandon". You oughta be ashamed... ;)

 
At Sunday, 17 August, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I would have gone with you, but that's what I get for not checking your blog before Sunday.

 
At Monday, 18 August, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

Sorry things just aren't going right. I had a week from hell myself and am just now recovering, but damn if my headache will NOT subside.

 
At Monday, 18 August, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - My Brandon always plays well. ;-P

Dr. - And you would have been most welcome. It would have been fun, even with the horrific loss.

Beth - I've had that same headache!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home