Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aria (featuring the Medieval Babes)

You know the day is going to suck when you wake up 22 minutes late and then because of sleeping in you leave for work when you should already be there and then get caught in a friggin' downpour. As my friends say (but in Polish, which I have no idea how to spell), "God punishes." I was halfway to work when all of a sudden the heavens opened up and water gushed from the sky. I contemplated running briefly, but could tell that it wasn't going to matter, I was going to be soaked to the bone whether I ran or not. The rain caused my pants to drag further down until they were five inches past my shoes (that would be my wet shoes and sopping socks) and caught under my heels. The water ran down my neck and under my fleece. I usually bypass the first door and walk in the second door I come to, but not today. Thankfully there was a rest room about 50 feet inside the door and I went there and got paper towel to dry my hair as it was plastered to my scalp. Thank God for short hair and style that doesn't rely on any effort. Also Thank Pamela.

I squished my way through the building and came upon the biggest motherf***ing cockroach I have ever seen in my life. I went to step on it, but it came at me, so I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. It didn't stop me from finding the cleaning guy (he was in the men's room cleaning and I hollered, "Hello." He came out and I said, "Could you please kill a cockroach? I went to do it, but it was bigger than me." He just laughed at me but he obliged. It was at the end of the hallway but it was so friggin' huge it could be seen. "You mean by the garbage can?" "Yup." I was damn near the length of the hallway away when I heard him stomp the crap out of it and said something about how big it was.

I'm sure a day that started out so inauspiciously with oversleeping, a rain soaking and the biggest motherf***ing cockroach ever is not going to be a good day. I'm now sitting at my desk with my shoes and socks off drying in front of my illegal heater. My pants are still not dry, although they are close. And I just wrung a goodly amount of water from my fleece. Stupid forecasters.

The really galling part? The damn downpour lasted maybe five minutes. I can't wait for my friend to get here as she's bringing me dry socks.

13 Comments:

At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Monster cockroaches and mysterious liquid oozing from the heavens, sounds like a great sci-fi story. Hope your day gets better.

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

I was going to say that, with the length of your hair, it probably took only about 2.5 minutes to get it dry. ;-)

Also, to rub salt in the wound of a person who doesn't mince her retorts: If only you hadn't overslept... ;-p

Funny post. Your misfortune this morning was very beneficial for your readers.

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Sal - That's what I get for watching the Sci-Fi channel.

MW - Like I said in my post: God punishes. That's what I get for hitting that snooze five times. I was just so darned tired.

It's now just after 1:00 and my fleece is finally dry!

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

There's nothing worse than sitting around in wet socks and shoes. That just makes the day even drearier.

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Don't ever step on a cockroach. Eggs could get stuck to the bottom of your shoe and you could have a serious problem later on.

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

oh man. I really hope things turned around for you. Nothing I hate more than sitting around in wet clothes. You just gave me the idea that I should keep a change of clothes here at work. Although, I now live just across the road, so it shouldn't be an issue.

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

What I've found is days that start off that bad seem to end up good. Maybe because the evil has already been purged from your day? Anyway, sorry about how crappy your morning was!

 
At Tuesday, 12 September, 2006, Blogger LL said...

Sounds like a great day. But there is hope for tomorrow. ;)

 
At Wednesday, 13 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey..thanks for you last comment. I was thinking miagraine too...but I didn't think about it being stress related! So that makes me think I shouldn't sleep tonight after my latest conversation with Jen...lol...I did take them with food, in fact, I just has some spaghetti, and I am going to grab some Advil and hope for a good night! I'm glad you day go a little bit better!

 
At Wednesday, 13 September, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - I think wet underwear is worse, but that's a little harder to attain. I was so happy when Co-Worker showed up with dry socks.

Jason - This sucker would have carried me away, but now that you've told me that - eeeeewwwwww!!!

Dave - The day didn't get any worse, so I guess it was ostensibly better. I was thinking I should keep an extra pair of socks here.

Heather - Good point, although sometimes it can just keep going and going and going like that damned pink bunny.

LL - I didn't get wet this morning, but that's because I wore a water repellent jacket and had my umbrella.

Moonfaeryy - Glad to hear it.

 
At Wednesday, 13 September, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

My wife would have freaked out horribly at that roach. Do you live near a nuclear plant?

 
At Wednesday, 13 September, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Scott - No, Fermi's a good 50+ miles away. The funny (peculiar) thing is that I was talking to one of the cleaning guys later and told him about the cockroach. Turns out there were TWO killed yesterday in my building. Yeah, I'm happy.

 
At Wednesday, 13 September, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Just curious. Why did you switch this entry around chronologically with the dog/cat entry? Were you just seeing if you could egg on those of us who are paranoid? ;-)

P.S. I knew you were implying very plainly in the entry that you were mad at yourself for oversleeping. I just wanted to state it plainly because thats what salt in wounds is all about -- with all due kindness and affection, of course. HSO (he smiles obnoxiously).

P.S.S. Wow, there are a lot of comments here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home