Wednesday, October 27, 2004

RIP John Peel


Very sad news in the music world today. John Peel of the Peel Sessions died in Peru while vacationing with his wife. He will be sorely missed. I personally loved him just because he was the driving force that got so many of my favorite 80s era bands on the radio, specifically Joy Division. Go here to read a lovely article about him which includes a nice couple of paragraphs about Joy Division and a comment from Bernard.

Julie linked to this article yesterday and I thought it was completely ridiculous that the guy from the Christian-based Focus on the Family thinks people should have children because it's a character-building experience. It probably is, but some people just should not be having children and are just because society expects it. He also said, "These are the people creating social security benefits for us when we get old. If the childless movement grows, who will pay for our social security?” EXCUSE ME???? And people think people who don't want children are selfish? Isn't that an extremely selfish reason to have children? I personally don't want children and have never wanted children. I knew when I was 12 that I didn't want kids, and now that I'm 40, I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this goal. And no, I don't hate kids at all. I love kids, I love babies, but I like loving them, playing with them, spoiling them rotten and then returning them to their parents sugar-crazed while I go home to my nice, mostly quiet, cats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home