Thursday, May 31, 2012

Post #3 - It's only been a few days, right?

Yup, work is still nuts, but the good news is that the world's greatest supervisor (who isn't mine, just for the record, but was years ago) got my status fixed and I now have to be paid for EVERY HOUR I WORK. Woohoo!! And I have to be paid for every hour I worked last year. Another Woohoo! They haven't figured out how that's going to happen yet, but I won't let them get away with not paying me. I need to pay for my yarn habit somehow. With the help of my dear friend Windy (who found my beautiful house) and my friend Ricardo I have planted my first garden. My soil is crap so God only knows if the daily watering is going to help. I think I need to buy worms and inflict my crap soil on them. I hope it doesn't hurt the poor worms. I still have done zero knitting for me...although lots of yarn buying for me...one of these days. My porch swing (housewarming gift from Mom and aunts) is up and I love it. It was fabulous last week when it was 90F. It's so lovely and cool on my porch. Ooh, it's the end of the month, I could re-instate Books and Movies of the Month.... Books Read in April #16 Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion by Janet Reitman (2011) 413 pages #17 Poison Flower: A Jane Whitefield Novel by Thomas Perry (2012) 274 pages Books Read in May #18 (of 2012) Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology by Marc Headley (2009) 371 pages #19 All Wound Up: The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (2011) 235 pages (the best knitting humorist writer out there) #20 The Serpent's Shadow: Book 3 of the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan (2012) 406 pages #21 Stolen Prey by John Sandford (2012) 402 pages #22 The Technologists by Matthew Pearl (2012) 480 pages #23 City of Lost Souls: Book 5 of The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare (2012) 536 pages Movies Watched in April #29 Louder than Love: The Grande Ballroom Story (DFT) 2011 #30 The Public Enemy (Redford) 1931 - Jimmy Cagney #31 Angels with Dirty Faces (Redford) 1938 - Jimmy Cagney #32 The Bank Job (K) 2008 Movies Watched in May #33 (of 2012) Senna (N) 2010 Yeah, I was on a Scientology jag there. I figure if I'm going to slag something I should learn about it. And it's fascinating. I recommend both books. May Book of the Month has to go to The Technologists. I love Matthew Pearl. It's his fourth book and I have loved every single one. I would definitely recommend everybody read all of them (The Dante Club, The Poe Shadow and The Last Dickens). April's Movie of the Month was Louder than Love: The Grande Ballroom Story without a doubt. As a Detroiter, I had to pick it, but it truly was a fascinating look at the late 1960s/early 1970s Detroit music scene. And all you really need to know about how cool it was is that The Who played Tommy at the Grande - before they played it anywhere else. Of course, the Ted Nugent interviews underscored what a complete and utter classless asshole he truly is. May's Movie of the Month is obvious since it was the only movie I watched, but I would hazard a guess that Senna would have won even if I had watched ten movies. If you have never followed F1 or even if you know the story intimately, unless you're a Prost fan with blinders on, you'd come away thinking "Damn, Prost was a dick." And if you know a little about current F1, you'd probably think, "Holy crap, Jean-Marie Balestre is a bigger dick than Max Mosley, and I didn't think that was possible." At any rate, definitely check it out. It is an amazing movie...and if you can find Louder than Love, oy, it was a fun movie. Although it might have been the atmosphere, as it felt like old home week at the Detroit Film Theatre that night as all the old hippies found each other and got reacquainted. And while I chose a book of the month for May, I'd say you couldn't go wrong reading any of the books (although I'd recommend reading the previous books if it were a continuation of a series).

10 Comments:

At Friday, 01 June, 2012, Blogger Matthew Pearl said...

Kat, thank you for including The Technologists in your round up, I'm so glad you enjoyed it (and the other novels, too)! If you're not already, stay in touch on my Facebook author page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-Pearl-author/29977879540) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/MatthewPearl)

 
At Tuesday, 05 June, 2012, Blogger LL said...

I see you're experiencing the joys of the new Blogger interface as well...

And what's wrong with Uncle Ted? Damn wimmen anyway... ;P

 
At Tuesday, 12 June, 2012, Anonymous hotels in pachmarhi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sunday, 25 November, 2012, Anonymous vinyl stickers said...

Excellent website. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks for your effort!

 
At Friday, 07 December, 2012, Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

I've been meaning to read Matthew Pearl. I own a few titles, but the to-read pile is a real monstrosity at the moment.

 
At Monday, 10 December, 2012, Anonymous vinyl decals said...

I really enjoyed this article. It is always nice when you read some thing that is not only informative but entertaining.

 
At Friday, 04 January, 2013, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - WTH! That was impossible to read. What happened to my formatting? Uncle Ted is a classless asshole...didn't you read what I wrote? :-)

Holy crap! Matthew Pearl posted on my lame little blog!! How exciting is that!?!

 
At Friday, 18 January, 2013, Blogger jeremy said...

Time flies so fast.


atlantic sun auto glass

 
At Sunday, 23 June, 2013, Blogger Unknown said...

Great post and very useful information’s. Good information. Really i am impressed from this post. Thanks a lot.
atlantic sun auto glass

 
At Tuesday, 10 June, 2014, Anonymous egypt said...

thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home