Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2010 is sucking canal water

I had honestly thought that 2010 was going to be better than 2009, but it has proven me wrong already. In 2009, the problem was seeing friends being laid off. This year, well, we already know what this year has wrought. And trust me, when you add them all up, I'm way over my requisite "happens in 3s." The latest being Dick Francis. No, I didn't know him personally, obviously, but he has been one of my favorite authors for over 25 years. *sigh*

I had to clean Ed's desk Tuesday morning. I got most of his personal belongings together, but have a few questions for his supervisor before I can finish that up completely. And I haven't even looked at his professional files or binders yet. I was told the day before that his supervisor and possibly our manager are setting up a meeting with Ed's wife to get his computer, cell phone, etc. from her and I figured I couldn't be a wuss any longer, as she'll want his personal items. I did it first thing as I didn't want too many people around to see me cry, even though I thought I was going to be able to get through it. Yeah, I was mistaken. And I discovered that my new waterproof mascara isn't very waterproof…or at least tear-proof.

I think that two hours of cleaning a deceased friend/colleague's desk should equal eight hours of regular work. I was emotionally drained and tired and just wanted to go home to bed. Crying is unbelievably exhausting.

It took everything I had to get out of bed this morning. I just wanted to stay home, but I had to go through the questionable items from Ed's desk with his supervisor, which we just did. And I'm right back to feeling as I did yesterday - eyes burning, wanting to curl up under my desk and doing nothing.

I'll try very hard not to be depressing/depressed on my next post.

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, 17 February, 2010, Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm sorry about your friend. That has to be such a heart wrenching situation. {{Hugs}}

 
At Wednesday, 17 February, 2010, Blogger fermicat said...

It is the little things that get to me. Those insignificant trappings of every day life that we leave behind. I remember cleaning out my dad's office like it was yesterday. All his 'comfort items' squirreled away in drawers just broke my heart. It was all so much like what's in my own desk drawers. So ordinary. And so sad.

 
At Wednesday, 17 February, 2010, Blogger LL said...

*hug*

 
At Saturday, 20 February, 2010, Blogger Kathleen said...

ETW - Thank you.

Fermi - He had lots of pics of his family...but the ultrasound pic was the one that got to me most.

LL - All hugs appreciated.

 
At Tuesday, 02 March, 2010, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Sorry Kathleen. I don't handle death well at all. I avoid the situation which makes it even worse.

Hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home