Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Birthday Purse (Picture finally posted)

I promised you last August a picture of my birthday purse. I finally got the external hard drive which means I finally got my music (what was on the hard drive - lot more to go) off my computer and that I uploaded all the pictures I've taken since last August.

For the next few posts, I'll be linking to my Road America (August), Baltimore (August), Maine (October), and Vegas (February 2008) pictures. But first, here is my Interlude Scarf and birthday purse (front and back).

The stupid pictures didn't pull up, so you'll have to click the links. ;-(

Here is the Interlude scarf pre-, during and post-blocking.

I'll have to be changing my profile soon, as I won't be spending my summer travelling to Champ Car races anymore. But we have one last race to attend. They announced that there would be one last hurrah, as Motegi, Japan wouldn't let the IRL out of their contract for the same weekend as the Champ Car Long Beach race. As angry as we are (yes, we realise it's a business decision, but it doesn't change the fact that it has affected us adversely), we knew we couldn't let the last Champ Car race ever happen without us there. The last race of the Panoz DP-01 and turbocharged engines will be held in April and HRH, Roadrunner, C&C and I will be there.





And you know what that means...one last batch of Champ Car pictures with which I get to bore you. ;-)

Update:

I know that you all are probably bored with my Champ Car talk, but a friend (one of C&C) found this article which basically says what I've been saying. I guess I'm including it so you don't think I'm blinded by my love of Champ Car and hatred of TFG. I have never even heard of the writer, Russell Jaslow, before, but I'd love to shake his hand.

Robin Miller Dropped The Ball

Rochester, N.Y., February 26 — For the past month or so, Robin Miller really ratcheted up his criticism of Champ Car, specifically the so-called leaders running it. It certainly was warranted. Champ Car had become a rudderless ship aiming straight for an iceberg with a penguin at the helm. It ceased operating as a respectable sporting organization since Road America last summer when they decided bullying tactics was preferable over proper media relations.

I've always liked Miller, his writing, his style, his sheer love of open wheel racing, and his no holds barred viewpoints. Even when I don't agree with him.

However, this time, I believe he dropped the ball.

In his zest to see unification happen almost to the point of fanaticism, he lost sight of doing what he does best -- ask the next probing question. And that question isn't will we be better off with one series, but will we be better off with solely Tony George in charge. The first question is obvious. The second question is potentially disturbing.

No, this isn't what you think. It isn't a Tony George started it, so why should we accept this rant. It is simply a question, is Tony George the proper person to move this sport forward from this point on.

Robin Miller says, "Get over it." I agree at some point we all have to. I also agree that this is probably the healthiest thing to do. However, it can also lead one to forget about history. Not simply to rehash the tired old story, but to learn from it. And what we learn, I fear, is that Tony George and the IRL are not the people to lead open wheel racing.

This is the organization that created the 25/8 rule.

This is the organization that downplayed, even lied, about injuries (remember Alessandro Zampedri's severed partial foot described as "minor injuries?").

This is the organization that designed a new racecar with a bulky, solid transmission that stuck so far out it created a tail happy unstable car which crushed backs in rear end impacts.

This is an organization that designed cars with the tendency to go airborne causing the death of Tony Renna, the mutilation of Kenny Brack, and the potential PR disaster of nearly sending Mario Andretti into the grandstands.

This is an organization that despite all those safety issues, put band aids on the problem sending open wheel racing back 30 years with their injury record.

This is an organization that feared the CART owners allegedly wanting to shorten the month of May and ended up shortening the month of May.

This is an organization that blatantly fixed one of the largest sporting events in the world (where was Senator Arlen Specter when you really needed him?).

This is an organization that secretly provided power steering to two of their smallest and weakest drivers, Danica Patrick and Dan Wheldon, against the rules which made them suddenly -- and suspiciously -- faster.

This is an organization that steadfastly refuses to do what every other racing organization does and set the minimum weight of the car with the driver, thus providing smaller, lighter drivers an advantage, which just so happens to potentially provide the IRL with a PR coup.

This is an organization that went against every single one of their philosophical believes in their quest to control open wheel racing.

And therein lies the problem. They have never been interested in the sport. Only the control.

Miller did give us some hope. He mentioned that there are competent people now working for the IRL that will help guide them towards a better vision combining the best of Champ Car with the IRL. People such as Tony Cotman, who is quite capable of doing this. I even think Brain Barnhart is also capable of positive change. From what I hear, he receives a great deal of respect from the competitors and the way he treats them (let's not forget that the Paul Tracy fiasco was beyond Barnhart's control).

However, there are still signs that concern me with the IRL. For instance, they still have Fred Nation, who is the reason why PR workers get such a bad rap.

The clincher was what Tony George said on Wind Tunnel the other day. He described his vision of American open wheel racing and subsequently provided a recipe for Champ Car racing -- "20-race schedule is going to be split between the three different disciplines," "It will be an international series," "...international drivers and manufacturer participation is a good thing."

Miller was on his game at this point when he pointed out to George that he was referring to 1995 CART.

There is your leader for open wheel racing, folks. The man who had a hissy fit because he couldn't be in charge. The hissy fit that destroyed a sport only to acknowledge CART had it right in the first place.

That's why Robin Miller dropped the ball. What makes him think that a single series could possibly be the savior of American open wheel racing when the leader is a man-child who had a $300 million hissy fit?

Russell Jaslow

Copyright © 2008 by Russell Jaslow and Deep Throttle. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

At Wednesday, 27 February, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

That scarf is lovely. I love the pattern. My favorite picture of it is the one with the Boris paw messing with it. Reminds me of home...

You've been quite busy with the uploading! I'll take another look when I have more time.

 
At Wednesday, 27 February, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Damn... that purse looks like it was a bitch to knit. Good job! I can't even make out the stitches... ;)

 
At Thursday, 28 February, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - Thanks. That was my first attempt at lace, so I'm pretty proud of it. I loved the Boris/scarf picture, too, so I had to include it!! I only got through last September with the uploading. Tonight I'm going to upload the Maine pics.

LL - You have no idea how small those darn needles were! ;-)

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that, then did some research on wikipedia, so now I know more what you're talking about when saying Champ Car.

wow, losing half a foot is a minor injury? I'd hate to see what a major injury to that guy is.

As for Tony Renna, I was reading up on his death, then there was link to racing fatalities and I read about the Le Mans race in '55. That was disturbing.

The only racing I've seen in person were alcohol cars. It was great. Your eyes burned when you sat in the front.

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

ZombieSlayer - TFG had to protect his vision so he had to spin crashes so they didn't look as bad as they were.

Yes, Le Mans in '55 was not a crowning moment in racing history. Very tragic. Things are a lot safer fifty-plus years later, but there will always be accidents. The powers that be generally do what they can to mitigate the effects of the crash. See Katherine's crash at RA in 2006, as an example of how to build a car that protects the driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2iqmliVMk

I was there and the entire race track was silent as we waited for news. Everybody was calling home or texting to get news, and praying. The relief was palpable when we heard she had walked out of the medical center with just a bruise on her knee.

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Blogger LL said...

So... do you think this Jaslow character is married? I think you two have some seriously common ground here... :P

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - You're hilarious. Trina's not around, so you're trying to marry me off? ;-)

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the purse!

Hope you're able to enjoy the final race, though it will be bittersweet. ~hugs~

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article you included had the key point I think - TFG mentioning what he envisioned things being, and Miller saying "1995 CART".

Exactly. That was some good stuff. Sometimes the way to best exercise control is not need everything, but get the right people and let them do their thing.

Woof

 
At Friday, 29 February, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Suzy - Even HRH said she'd cry and I've never seen that girl cry!

Woof - EXACTLY!!! Friggin' idiot.

 
At Saturday, 01 March, 2008, Blogger MJW said...

I was going to say something about the purse along the lines of what LL said. ;-)

I'm also glad you're able to post pictures to Flickr again. I'll have to go check them out and make a few comments, where warranted.

 
At Saturday, 01 March, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I'm not bored. I've learned a lot about the politics of open-wheel racing here lately.

The last race will be a bittersweet event, but at least you're getting a trip to California out of it.

 
At Sunday, 02 March, 2008, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

First time I explored your Flickr site. You have a lot of great photos! Igor looks like Claudia's Maddy. Oh - you really should cut back on the Chuck Taylors! Yikes!

 
At Tuesday, 04 March, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

LOVE the pictures and the scarf. Just gorgeous! The color is stunning.

 
At Tuesday, 04 March, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

MW - Be nice!

Doc - You're a political kind of guy.

FWG - One can never have too many Chucks. Which reminds, I have to post pics of new ones!

Beth - The YS did a great job picking out that yarn. LOVE it!

 
At Thursday, 06 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy S***!
I can't believe Katherine Legge was all smilie after that. the car went to pieces and she walked away from it.

By the way, she's kinda cute. But then again, I was always the guy who dated tomboys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home