Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Brown Paper Bag

I have decided (God only knows why, but it could be that I won't be home many of the upcoming Saturdays and besides who wants to waste their Saturdays inside doing laundry?) that Mondays are perfect days for doing the laundry. So, that was my goal Monday night and I could have accomplished the goal of getting four loads done, except for the minor problem that our "new" (read: used) washing machine sucks totally and completely. It doesn't spin the clothes very dry at all (and the agitator as a cupped base where water collects, so when the clothes get done spinning they sit in a pool of water) which means that it takes two full hours in the dryers (at a dollar a pop) to dry said clothes. I washed three loads (starting at 3:00 p.m., but couldn't get into the dryer until 5:00 since Ursamajor's OOMA was trying to dry the clothes he had washed earlier. It's a huge sign when there's a wet load on top of the dryer and a load in the dryer. Anyway, I got the towels dried, and my sheets dried (sheets finished at 9:15 p.m.), so my clothes got hung on the lines which we all means they're going to dry as stiff as a friggin' board. I'm not pleased. And unlike the Basement Dweller, I did not hang my undies for everybody else in the building to see and took them up to my apartment to hang in the bathroom. All this means that I'm calling Schneider sometime soon to complain about the "new" (read: used) sucky washing machine. I mean, really! Who has two hours to dry one load of laundry? And if you have to wash more than one, you're screwed. I'm going to have to start washing one load a day and hope that I don't conflict with everybody else in the building. I never thought I'd think fondly of the old avocado green washing machine.

BTW, this is Kvetch Day here at Kat's Bitch Fest Blog. My next bitch is that the cafeteria at work is going to close down the Mini-Marts (which serve breakfast, 6:30 – 10:00, lunch 11:00 – 3:00) and keep open only the main cafeteria which serves only lunch (11:00 – 12:45). The huge problem here is that the only thing they do relatively well is breakfast (lunch is so abysmally horrible, it's not funny), so I think I’m just going to stop eating during the day. I walk to work, so going out for lunch isn't feasible. Supposedly the caterer is losing money on this deal, but nobody's quite sure how since they don't pay rent. And I think that perhaps if you're in the catering business, you might be more successful if your food is edible. But what do I know, I wasn't a business major.

Yes, I could bring my lunch, but that would require me going to the grocery store a bit more often and although I do like Boca burgers, eating them for lunch every day is just not something I want to do. I love PB&Js, but I have discovered that peanut butter upsets my stomach, so after a day or two of PB&Js, I'm over feeling nauseous all afternoon. And if you saw my kitchen with its incredible lack of counter space, you'd understand why cooking isn't really an option. And once summer really gets going, my apartment is hotter than the hubs of Hell and cooking is even less of an option. Yes, window air conditioners would help, but I can't afford to buy three (which is probably what it would take to cool my apt) and then run them all summer long. The thing is that I really love my apartment and don't want to live anywhere else. It's in a great location and it's large and relatively inexpensive for the neighborhood.

Another bitch is that when I do eat lunch at my desk the number of people who come up to my desk, see me eating and reading, but don't go away. If it's something work-related and quick I don't mind, it's the people who stop by to chat and don't go away while my food is getting cold who drive me up a tree. The conversation is rarely worthy of my food getting cold nor is it better than my book.

I think I’m done bitching for now.

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I was at Starbucks yesterday, typing away at a short story when somebody from work saw me in the window. I appreciate his company, and I don't blame him, for I probably would have done the same thing, but I still resented that my time was taken from me. It's too precious anymore.

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 - Did you notice the new addition to the Basement Dweller's wardrobe? Bloody crotch pajama bottoms. Hooray!

2 - Bryan talked to Carol last night and she told him that she had it on "good authority" (?) that we are getting a new washer.

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Scott - You have kids and a life, so I don't blame you at all. I think I'm becoming curmudgeonly in my old age. I get annoyed when my phone rings, etc.

Urs - I was trying to avoid that mental picture altogether. Really??? Yay! You do know that Carol is Landlord's SIL, right?

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

Can you ring the clothes by hand? I once had an old machine that behaved badly, so I had to ring out everything. Sometimes it's good to be raised poor. LOL

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

Is there only one washer & dryer in your building? I'd snap if that were the case. I'd be getting myself a granny cart and wheel my laundry to the nearest multi-machine laundromat and get everything done at once...and don't forget your knitting. :o)

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

And here I was just beginning to think about the very remotest possibility of feeling even the slightest pang of conscience over having been negative in my own blog entry yesterday.

NOT!

Welcome BACK to the club! ;-)

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Beth - I did, but I'm not that strong.

Dave - Yup, one machine only. Laundromat??? Are you kidding me? That will NOT happen. Too much Babylon 5 & Netflix out there to watch to waste time sitting in a laundromat.

MW - Crap, I'm as bad as you???

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed my lovely Kathleen, karma can suck my butt. But don't tell it I said that cos then it will get nasty with me!!!

 
At Thursday, 15 June, 2006, Blogger Miranda said...

Supposedly the caterer is losing money on this deal, but nobody's quite sure how since they don't pay rent. And I think that perhaps if you're in the catering business, you might be more successful if your food is edible.

Maybe he's cooking the money into the food. ;)

That said, it's nice to see another Babylon 5 fan out there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home