Monday, June 12, 2006

The Gentleman Who Fell

I had a great weekend!!! The sad thing is that all I needed to happen for it to be a great weekend was that I got my hair cut. Yup, I'm easy.

Friday I went with the Libertarian to see The Proposition. Holy shit, people! If you don't like excessive violence (which I don't), this is not the movie for you. Was it a good movie? Yes, I have to say it was. It was well done and the story was a good one (and although I figured out the ending, it didn't detract at all from it). I spent a decent amount of time with my eyes closed. At one point, I turned my head and closed my eyes and the Libertarian whispered to me, "Did you miss that?" "Yup." "Good." I love it when I make smart decisions. It was a rough movie. I was very stressed throughout and spent the last half of the movie digging my fingers into the Libertarian's arm with the occasional turned head and closed eyes. He didn't always let me know if it was safe to look, so I caught some violence that I could have lived without. Even now thinking about it I can feel myself getting tense, but the crazy thing is that it was an amazing movie and I'm glad I saw it (and gladder that I figured out when NOT to look). I have to say though that there was one part where I really really really wanted to stick my fingers in my ears as well as close my eyes, but I thought that might have been too juvenile of a reaction.

After the movie we headed off to the party where I had a great time and where I knew there'd be someone interesting to meet, just because the Libertarian was with me. Of course, I've heard it said many times that guys find women more interesting if they're with another guy (weirdness, if you ask me), but maybe that helped. Who knows. Of course, this is all a moot point I'm sure because I'll probably never see him again.

I was in full klutz mode on Friday. I was drinking red wine from these fabulously tall glasses that my friend Andrew has. The problem is that I'm a KLUTZ, so the fact that they were extra tall just had me bumping the damn glass and then red wine would go sloshing all over the place. Thank God I was wearing a wine colored dress. I'm positive one of the guys at the party (whom I had met at the last party) thought I was stupid drunk. Trust me, I wasn't. I readily admit when I've drunk too much, but that was not the case that night. Just call me Grace. I wish I were graceful. *sigh*

Saturday morning I once again experienced the fact that the local radio station which supposedly has "The Best Traffic & Weather Together on the 8s" doesn't. I don't know about you, but I think that if you have two freeways of two lanes each merging into what is normally four lanes, but on this particular day is only ONE lane that the traffic report might say, "Hey, if you're heading to I-96 West from I-275 or I-696, you might want to take an alternate route." Fuckers. I was stuck on the interchange with absolutely no place legally to go for over an hour and a half. I hit the first exit and got the hell off and took the alternate route I would have taken in the first place if I had had a bit of warning. We got to the World's Greatest Yarn Store at least an hour after I had planned on getting there. We spent an hour there picking out yarn for my two cousins' afghans. One cousin was with me so if she doesn't like her afghan, it's her own fault as she picked the yarn out, but I don't think that'll be a problem. The base yarn is absolutely beautiful alpaca/silk/wool blend in a gorgeous blue and I picked up a carry-along yarn to give it a little more character. For the cousin who just got married, I picked up this incredible super bulky yarn (Cascade Magnum in Color #9338. The cousin who got married loves green while her husband likes blue. It's mostly green with hints of blue. I hope it's enough, because I am loving this yarn and how it's knitting up. I'm bound and determined to buy myself a digital camera so that I can take a picture of it and share it with you all.

Saturday night was supposed to be Knitting Club night but it didn't happen. SK had the flu (or a cold), JU had other things going on and I ended up with a massive headache. When I got home from all the driving I did (I went straight from Lansing to downtown Detroit), I took three ibuprofen and took a nap. I woke up two hours later and my head was still hurting, so I called up EGC and decided to stay home. Of course, I ended up knitting anyway and that's when I started the cousin's afghan.

Sunday was the big day in that the mop on top of my head got taken care of. After another two hour Mass (Fr. O told me that he's going to have to do something about it – love that man!), I booked out of there and headed off to Pamela's for the hair butchering. After that, we headed downtown to the Detroit Festival of Arts (Hey, Detroit, if a street is One-Way, it might behoove you to put up a sign so that people coming off a side street know that.) where I bought a new ring. It was the first booth we stopped at. It helps that Pamela also prefers silver jewelry with an edge. The woman had these very cool rings, but every single one of them was huge and fit only my RH index finger. I wanted one for my LH ring finger which takes a size 4.5 ring. The woman told me she could size any ring down or up. I figured it would be a process and that I'd have to wait for the darn thing to arrive in the mail. I was so wrong!! She took the ring I preferred and within moments she had it sized down (of course, my fingers are cold right now, so it's a smidge big) and it fit perfectly. The stone is irregular in size and shape (which I prefer, cabochons are boring, IMO) and she told me it's called Petersite. Pamela bought the other ring I had been contemplating which had a stone that the woman had found at George Lake (no clue where this is) and had polished herself. It was sweet. There weren't that many booths this year, so buying at the very first booth we stopped at ended up not being a problem. We caught most of the DSO's concert which was very well attended. All in all, it was a good day and a good weekend (traffic jam not withstanding).

I hope you all had a fun weekend!

5 Comments:

At Monday, 12 June, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I hope you don't think that I'm a sicko for wanting to see it again. It is a very violent movie, but it's very damn good. The photography makes me reminisce of my short time in the outback and Ray Winstone's permformance was stunning. I picked up a few subtle things I didn't get the first time. Sorry that it was too violent for you, but I'm glad you enjoyed it otherwise. By the way, "Fargo" is way funny.

 
At Monday, 12 June, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

That's how I felt when I watched Braveheart. I didn't get my eyes covered in time to miss the part where they slit his wife's throat. Just vile.

 
At Tuesday, 13 June, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jason - No, I know you're just crazy about Australia and Nick Cave and I did think it was a very very good movie. I'm just not good with violence - and no, Fargo wasn't in the least bit funny.

Trina - Another good, but violent movie. Movies I'm glad I saw but don't need to see more than once.

 
At Tuesday, 13 June, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

You're in a Knitting Club? I can't knit in the warm weather. I have to be outside when it's nice. I also can't think of anything fuzzy and warm when it's 80 degrees out. Knitting Club though, that would be cool (from September to March ... LOL)

 
At Wednesday, 14 June, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Beth - I knit year round which isn't an issue when I'm knitting summer accessory type scarves, but I have a feel that the afghan I'm knitting is not going to be fun come this weekend. ARGH!!! Knitting Club is great fun. If you lived in the area, I'd invite you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home