Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cat Scratch Saturday



This is my favorite picture of my beloved Tikal who I had to put to asleep back in May 2003 due to a tumor that attached his tongue to the bottom of his mouth so he couldn't eat. The day I put him to sleep was one of the worst days of my life. He was so sweet and a complete lap cat. At night he would sleep under the covers in my bed. When he'd want to go under the covers, he'd head-butt me until I lifted the covers. I was always worried that he was going to suffocate, but obviously never did. One time the YS stayed at my place when I went somewhere and after a couple of nights, she told me that Tikal was head-butting her at night but couldn't figure out why. "Oh yeah, he wants to be let under the covers." After that, she had uninterrupted nights of sleep.

Back in 2000 when the YS and I were driving my belongings and me back to Detroit from San Francisco in a big rented truck with Tikal in a carrier - at least to start. But we couldn't keep the poor sweetie in the carrier the whole time, so we let him out, hoping he'd sit on my lap, but he was a bit freaked out by the noise of engine and spent most of the first few days of the drive on the floor next to Aunt YS's feet (there was a separate little area in the wheel well on the driver's side). By the time we reached the Plains states, however, he was sitting on the seat between us and looking out the windscreen. Aunt YS played the license plate game with Tikal, and he won. He was excellent at spotting license plates and almost got all 50 of them. ;-)

The funniest part of the trip, however, was one time when he was sitting up looking out the windshield, we were approaching an overpass and as we passed underneath it Tikal totally ducked. It was hilarious. At the next overpass, he still ducked, but not to the extent of the first one. After that he figured it out and realised that the overpasses weren't dangerous, but that initial duck was so darn funny. I still miss him, even as much as I love Boris and Igor, Tikal holds a special place in my heart. He was a sweet boy.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Saturday, 11 April, 2009, Anonymous Suzy said...

Tikal was so sweet. I think we love all our cats differently, not more or less...~hugs~

I can't believe it's been that long since you moved back to the D!!!

 
At Saturday, 11 April, 2009, Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Awww. He sounds so sweet! I had a cat like that, too. So loving, loved to sleep under the covers - she even walked on a lead (like a dog) and was a champion car rider - she loved just looking around while I drove around!

 
At Saturday, 11 April, 2009, Blogger LL said...

A picture of a picture of a cat? *sigh*

 
At Sunday, 12 April, 2009, Blogger Jenn said...

I love the part about the overpass! How funny was that, the cat ducked!

I had a cat named Oscar. He used to go bar hopping with me. He'd sit on my shoulder and curl over my neck and hide in my hair. Then swat at all the men that came near me! Hee Hee. He got that feline Lukemia even tho he was vacinated for it. Sad day that was.

 
At Sunday, 12 April, 2009, Blogger Kathleen said...

Suzy - It's been even longer than that - I moved back in 2000! I've now been in my current job longer than any other. I agree - I don't love Boris or Igor less than Tikal, just differently.

ETW - He really was sweet. Tikal was pretty good in the car, all the rest meowr like they're being tortured. Goofy kids.

LL - It's not just a picture of a picture of any old cat. It was Tikal!

Red - Now that's cool. The bars allowed cats in? I want to go there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home